SOME 209 migrants scaled the high fence that borders Spain and Morocco in Melilla using climbing hooks.
Sub-Saharan African migrants scaled the 20-foot high fence with hooks and shoes with nails in the bottom so they could grip the crisscrossing steel fence.
One police officer who was injured was ‘attacked by an immigrant with one of the hooks they use to clamber up the fence’, said the central government’s representative in Melilla in a statement.
Adding the implement cut the police officer’s earlobe.
There were injuries on both sides as four other migrants were sent to the Hospital Comarcal de Melilla.
- Doctor called in to help podgy population lose weight in a Spanish town - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 12:30
- Flu pandemic in Spain leads to rising death toll - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 10:30
- Spanish hospitals charging tourists double for care in Barcelona - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 13:37
- Spain gets its first beer spa in Andalucia - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 12:06
- Spain vows to send more police officers to combat ‘narcos state’ in Cadiz - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 10:50
- Spanish singer Marta Sanchez causes controversy with rendition of national anthem - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 15:06
- Spain’s SpaceX satellite launch in California delayed by four days - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 13:43
- Spain’s finance minister fails to impress MEPs for European Central Bank role - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 12:47
- UN set to inspect migrant situation in Spain - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 11:07
- Chasing corruption: Tracking Spain’s nine biggest corruption cases in 2018 - 17 Feb, 2018 @ 11:11