THE average tax bills of citizens in Malaga’s different municipalities have been revealed – and the differences are huge.
In Malaga city, where the tax burden is the lowest, citizens pay an average of €561.90 per year, while those in Estepona, where it is the highest, pay €1,567.70, a difference of over €1,000.
The amount of taxes paid by citizens is what is known as ‘tax pressure’, which represents the percentage of income they contribute.
The tax burden in a city is the percentage that each citizen contributes through the payment of taxes.
The latest data has been provided by the Fiscal Observatory of Andalucia, which has collected the information from the Ministry of Finance.
Marbella and Vélez-Málaga have not offered their figures.
Leading the tax burden stakes are the large municipalities of the western Costa del Sol: Estepona, Benalmádena, Torremolinos, Mijas and Fuengirola.
The political colour of municipalities is not decisive when it comes to demanding tax collection, since the PP rule Estepona and Fuengirola, the PSOE in Torremolinos and Benalmádena, and Ciudadanos in Mijas.
Four municipalities: Estepona, Benalmádena, Torremolinos and Mijas, exceed €1,000 euros per inhabitant.
After the crisis in 2008, some municipalities agreed to raise taxes to stave off disaster and maintain balanced municipal economies.
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40