A GROUP of young British tourists were behind the tragic death of a three-year-old yesterday, it has been revealed.
The child, a French national, was struck down in San Pedro de Alcantara.
The toddler died after being hit by a vehicle driven by one of four Brits who had just parked up to retrieve a baseball cap that had blown of the window.
Paramedics were called to the scene but were unable to revive the young child, who died at the scene.
The tragedy happened around 2pm on Sunday in the car park at the Casa Rusa Marbella, a commercial centre focused on the Russian-speaking population.
The unnamed driver passed a breath test and was released after giving a statement.
A local investigating magistrate has now taken over an ongoing investigation into the incident and will decide whether to bring any criminal charges at a later date.
The tragic accident occured as the group left the car park near the dual-carriageway linking Marbella and San Pedro.
The dead child’s grandmother is understood to have let the child out of their car seconds before she was run over.
A spokesman for a local emergency services coordinator said: “I can confirm a three-year-old child has died in an accident that occurred on Sunday afternoon in San Pedro de Alcantara near Marbella.
“We were alerted at 2.10pm by a witness.”
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27