A GROUP of young British tourists were behind the tragic death of a three-year-old yesterday, it has been revealed.
The child, a French national, was struck down in San Pedro de Alcantara.
The toddler died after being hit by a vehicle driven by one of four Brits who had just parked up to retrieve a baseball cap that had blown of the window.
Paramedics were called to the scene but were unable to revive the young child, who died at the scene.
The tragedy happened around 2pm on Sunday in the car park at the Casa Rusa Marbella, a commercial centre focused on the Russian-speaking population.
The unnamed driver passed a breath test and was released after giving a statement.
A local investigating magistrate has now taken over an ongoing investigation into the incident and will decide whether to bring any criminal charges at a later date.
The tragic accident occured as the group left the car park near the dual-carriageway linking Marbella and San Pedro.
The dead child’s grandmother is understood to have let the child out of their car seconds before she was run over.
A spokesman for a local emergency services coordinator said: “I can confirm a three-year-old child has died in an accident that occurred on Sunday afternoon in San Pedro de Alcantara near Marbella.
“We were alerted at 2.10pm by a witness.”
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06