NEW laws have come into effect this week in a bid to tackle Andalucia’s growing obesity problem.
The region, with 16.6% of adults and almost a quarter of minors being obese, is the second-fattest in the country.
Bars and restaurants will have to offer drinking water free of charge to anyone who requests it, as well as different portion sizes.
Meanwhile, supermarkets have to offer fresh produce in a range of packaging sizes.
The law also asks schools to add five hours of sport a week into the curriculum, and launch initiatives to distribute fresh fruit and vegetables.
School shops and cafeterias will be banned from selling drinks and snacks which contain over 200 calories.
Free drinking water will also be placed next to vending machines selling high-calorie soft drinks, while publicity of products with exceptionally high calorific values will also be limited.
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31