KYLE Edmund will lead Great Britain’s team in their challenging Davis Cup tie against Spain in Marbella.
It comes after the rising star reached the Australian Open semi-finals this week.
Captain Leon Smith confirmed the team today, with Cameron Norrie, Liam Broady, Jamie Murray and Dominic Inglot joining Edmund for the three-day World Group first-round tie, which starts on February 2.
Smith, who watched Edmund beat world No 3 Grigor Dimitrov to reach the semis of a slam for the first time, said: “I’ve not got a fixed mindset [about the second singles spot].
“Liam and Cam have played nothing on clay; that’s the bottom line. So you don’t know how they’re going to react to it.
“Whoever goes out to play as a No 2 against what will be a really high-level opponent, it’s about them giving everything they’ve got, learning from it and hopefully leaving a better tennis player.”
Edmund is now the team’s pivotal player, in the absence of Andy Murray, who is recovering from hip surgery.
Rafael Nadal has already made himself unavailable, but Smith said: “It’s the toughest draw. They are the most difficult team – whoever they pick.”
Great Britain last played Spain in 1986, winning 4-1 in Telford.
The winners face Australia or Germany in the quarter-finals from 6-8 April.
The losers drop into the World Group play-offs from 14-16 September.
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29