BRITISH cyclist Chris Froome has said he is ‘confident’ there will be progress on a probe into an adverse doping test.
It comes nine days before the he is set to take part in Andalucia’s Ruta del Sol from February 14 to 18.
He last raced the Ruta del Sol in 2015, when he took overall victory and picked up a stage win along the way.
Froome will line up for Team Sky in Spain after spending the early part of the year training in South Africa.
“I have put in a hard training block in January,” said Froome.
“It’s been good to be out on my bike and to get the miles under my belt. It’s been a couple of years now since I was last at Ruta del Sol. It’s a race I’ve enjoyed in the past and so I’m looking forward to going back there.”
The 32-year-old had tested for elevated levels of the asthma medication salbutamol during last year’s Vuelta a Espana.
The team said they were providing information to cycling’s governing body the UCI over the matter.
“The UCI process is ongoing. I’m confident that we will be able to get to the bottom of what has happened and I’m working hard with the team to do that,” said Froome.
“Obviously I understand that this situation has created a lot of uncertainty. I completely get why there has been so much interest and speculation. I hope that people will appreciate there are limits to what I can say whilst the process is still ongoing but no one is keener than me to move things forward as quickly as possible.”
- Manhunt underway after young woman ‘held down and raped in the street’ by ex-boyfriend and pals in Spain’s Sevilla - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 16:49
- Another swimmer dies off beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 15:22
- British expat pensioner brutally murdered near Spain’s Costa del Sol wanted to move closer to pals in Estepona following husband’s death - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 14:10
- RED ALERT: Warnings across Spain as temperatures to surpass 40C TODAY before scorcher along Costa del Sol on Friday - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 13:22
- British expats in Spain would have ‘strong case’ to sue UK government in case of no-deal Brexit, MP warns - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 12:10
- IN PICS: Luxury lifestyle of Marbella expat couple accused of cocaine trafficking and money laundering as court orders €4 million seizure of assets - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Dead blue whale found floating in Marbella - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 10:39
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13