A PASSENGER boat off the coast of Spain was forced to turn around after sailing by tens of migrant bodies floating in the water on Saturday.
Authorities in Spain and Morocco launched a search-and-rescue operation for Saturday and Sunday after recovering at least 20 African migrants near the coast of Melilla, Spain’s north African territory.
Most of the bodies were recovered by the Moroccan authorities while one was found in a separate location by a Spanish police boat and was taken to Melilla.
The search was widened yesterday with the support of a Spanish police helicopter, according to Irene Flores, a spokeswoman for the Spanish government in Melilla.
Authorities had feared the recent strong winds and currents could lead the bodies to drift farther.
No one knows when or where the tragedy occurred, nor do they know the exact route the migrants were following.
The amount of migrants arriving in Spain through the Mediterranean almost tripled to nearly 22,000 last year, while reported drownings off the Spanish coast nearly doubled, according to a January report by the UN’s International Organization for Migration.
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18