A PASSENGER boat off the coast of Spain was forced to turn around after sailing by tens of migrant bodies floating in the water on Saturday.
Authorities in Spain and Morocco launched a search-and-rescue operation for Saturday and Sunday after recovering at least 20 African migrants near the coast of Melilla, Spain’s north African territory.
Most of the bodies were recovered by the Moroccan authorities while one was found in a separate location by a Spanish police boat and was taken to Melilla.
The search was widened yesterday with the support of a Spanish police helicopter, according to Irene Flores, a spokeswoman for the Spanish government in Melilla.
Authorities had feared the recent strong winds and currents could lead the bodies to drift farther.
No one knows when or where the tragedy occurred, nor do they know the exact route the migrants were following.
The amount of migrants arriving in Spain through the Mediterranean almost tripled to nearly 22,000 last year, while reported drownings off the Spanish coast nearly doubled, according to a January report by the UN’s International Organization for Migration.
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22