A DRUNK man has been videoed riding a donkey through the village of Villanueva de la Vera, Caceres.
The act, which is part of the Peropalo festival celebrating the similar procession of a convicted rapist who was dragged through the town, has been denounced by animal rights groups.
Bernabé the donkey, was forced through the packed, cobbled streets of the village while throngs of people surrounded the animal.
Representatives from the UK based animal welfare charity, The Donkey Sanctuary and their Spanish branch, El Refugio del Burrito attended the event to collect evidence of the donkey’s suffering.
The Donkey Sanctuary’s Dawn Vincent said: “I understand there is a tradition that the people of Villanueva de la Vera wish to celebrate but the need to include a donkey in the event is utterly unnecessary.”
The evidence collected by the welfare groups, along with a petition will be presented to the regional government of Extremadura.
- Doctor called in to help podgy population lose weight in a Spanish town - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 12:30
- Flu pandemic in Spain leads to rising death toll - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 10:30
- Spanish hospitals charging tourists double for care in Barcelona - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 13:37
- Spain gets its first beer spa in Andalucia - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 12:06
- Spain vows to send more police officers to combat ‘narcos state’ in Cadiz - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 10:50
- Spanish singer Marta Sanchez causes controversy with rendition of national anthem - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 15:06
- Spain’s SpaceX satellite launch in California delayed by four days - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 13:43
- Spain’s finance minister fails to impress MEPs for European Central Bank role - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 12:47
- UN set to inspect migrant situation in Spain - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 11:07
- Chasing corruption: Tracking Spain’s nine biggest corruption cases in 2018 - 17 Feb, 2018 @ 11:11