A MAN has been arrested on suspicion of six robberies in a hotel on the Costa del Sol.
The 42-year-old Spaniard from Torremolinos stole valuable jewellery and money from multiple rooms from a hotel in Fuengirola.
Breaking into the guests’ rooms using a technique called “slip”, the thief managed to open the doors with a plastic sheet while keeping the lock in tact.
A hotel worker called La Policia Nacional after a terrified guest caught the thief in their room, who escaped by jumping across balconies.
After realising he was being investigated, the criminal fled his home and hid in an apartment in Benalmadena, where La Policia Nacional later found him.
His partner, a 45-year-old Cuban woman, was also arrested on suspicion of keeping stolen property.
She is believed to have sold the jewellery secondhand, which included expensive rings, watches, bracelets and necklaces.
Both appeared in front of a judge and the Spaniard could face prison.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03