A SPANISH policeman has been hailed a hero after diving into rough waters to save migrants.
Isaac Sepulveda was in a patrol car when he saw the small boat get into trouble off the coast of Ceuta, Spain’s territory in Morocco.
The boat carrying eight people became englufed by waves and capsized.
Sepulveda had called for back up but refused to wait, diving into the water to help.
CCTV footage captured the entire rescue.
Aunque algunos sigan sin querer verlo muchos guardias civiles se juegan la vida cada día para impedir que el drama de las personas que llegan a nuestras costas acabe en tragedia
— Guardia Civil (@guardiacivil) April 12, 2018
“Everything happened really fast, I’d called for backup, but when I reached the headland, the boat was already close to shore,” he said afterwards.
“It wasn’t going well because of the rough seas and then I saw the boat overturn and everyone tipped into the sea.
“The waves swept several of the people to the shore but I saw that two women were left behind and were struggling. I had to make a quick decision, so I threw myself into the sea.
“I saw that I had the opportunity to save a life and I thought, in my job I just can’t watch as someone dies. It would have stayed with me my whole life.”
Five members made it to the shore on their own while the remaining three were helped by Sepúlveda and his colleagues.
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38