A SPANISH policeman has been hailed a hero after diving into rough waters to save migrants.
Isaac Sepulveda was in a patrol car when he saw the small boat get into trouble off the coast of Ceuta, Spain’s territory in Morocco.
The boat carrying eight people became englufed by waves and capsized.
Sepulveda had called for back up but refused to wait, diving into the water to help.
CCTV footage captured the entire rescue.
Aunque algunos sigan sin querer verlo muchos guardias civiles se juegan la vida cada día para impedir que el drama de las personas que llegan a nuestras costas acabe en tragedia
— Guardia Civil (@guardiacivil) April 12, 2018
“Everything happened really fast, I’d called for backup, but when I reached the headland, the boat was already close to shore,” he said afterwards.
“It wasn’t going well because of the rough seas and then I saw the boat overturn and everyone tipped into the sea.
“The waves swept several of the people to the shore but I saw that two women were left behind and were struggling. I had to make a quick decision, so I threw myself into the sea.
“I saw that I had the opportunity to save a life and I thought, in my job I just can’t watch as someone dies. It would have stayed with me my whole life.”
Five members made it to the shore on their own while the remaining three were helped by Sepúlveda and his colleagues.
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40