A HOST of Spanish wineries have started adding bubbles to red Rioja.
Eight vineyards are now producing sparkling versions of the traditional vino.
It comes after Rioja’s regulatory council created a new sparkling category, ‘espumosos de Calidad Rioja’, with bodegas included Muga, Faustino and Cune jumping on the bandwagon.
Last year saw 389 million bottles of Rioja sold worldwide while in the UK, it accounts for 37.8% of sales of Spanish wine.
Sales rose by 3.2% last year with an average price of around €7 a bottle.
Javier Pascual, from wine magazine La Prensa del Rioja, said: “Producing fizzy wine is the new fashion in Rioja and it is basically to diversify a brand which is doing very well.
“They are not trying to compete in the fizzy market with prosecco, champagne or cava . . . but simply want to offer customers something new.”
- Brazilian soldier from convoy of President Bolsonaro arrested for smuggling cocaine into Spain’s Sevilla after controversial leader vowed to crack down on drugs - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 12:41
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27