A HOST of Spanish wineries have started adding bubbles to red Rioja.
Eight vineyards are now producing sparkling versions of the traditional vino.
It comes after Rioja’s regulatory council created a new sparkling category, ‘espumosos de Calidad Rioja’, with bodegas included Muga, Faustino and Cune jumping on the bandwagon.
Last year saw 389 million bottles of Rioja sold worldwide while in the UK, it accounts for 37.8% of sales of Spanish wine.
Sales rose by 3.2% last year with an average price of around €7 a bottle.
Javier Pascual, from wine magazine La Prensa del Rioja, said: “Producing fizzy wine is the new fashion in Rioja and it is basically to diversify a brand which is doing very well.
“They are not trying to compete in the fizzy market with prosecco, champagne or cava . . . but simply want to offer customers something new.”
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37