STEPHEN Lawrence murder suspect Jamie Acourt has been arrested in Spain after being on the run for two years.
The 41-year-old was swarmed by armed police at Barcelona airport in connection with a €4.5 million marijuana plot.
He was captured as part of Operation Captura, an initiative between the UK’s National Crime Agency, Crimestoppers and Spanish police.
Acourt will appear before a judge in Madrid next week for an extradition hearing.
“Acourt thought he could evade capture, but as a result of an intelligence-led operation his days on the run have ended,” said Ian Cruxton, head of the NCA’s International operations.
Acourt is alleged to have been involved in the murder of Stephen Lawrence in April 1993.
A gang hurled racial abuse at Lawrence before stabbing him fatally in London.
Acourt has never stood trial for his alleged involvement in the murder.
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18