FROM December there will be flights from Corvera airport in Murcia to ‘Manchester United’ airport.
This is what Fernando Lopez Miras, the president of the region of Murcia, announced during an interview with TVE this week.
During the comical broadcast blunder, the PP politician confused the city with the famous football team and said tickets are already available to buy.
He said: “The airport will be operating in December and if we look on the website of various operators and airlines today, we can already buy tickets for 2019 from Corvera to Leeds and Corvera to Manchester United.”
After becoming the subject of hundreds of jokes on social media, Lopez Miras later realised the error he made.
He tweeted: ‘Now we can buy tickets to travel to the new international airport from Murcia to Manchester United or to Manchester City ;) Things of #Championstourism and lapses of football fans.
‘Luckily I am a president of #FACTS more than words – FLM’.
— Fernando López Miras (@LopezMirasF) May 3, 2018
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03