TWO Spanish cities have been ranked in the top 10 cities in the world for food.
TripAdvisor has just released a list of its top 10 food cities, based on data gathered using an algorithm that looked at bookings, traveller reviews and ratings from its 455 million visitors each month.
Barcelona was ranked 4th in the list, followed by Madrid at 8th.
“Foodie experiences are dominating traveller booking growth,” a TripAdvisor spokesperson said.
“Food tours are the fastest growing experiences category on our site based on traveller spend, which increased a whopping 61% last year versus 2016.”
Barcelona was noted for its contemporary Spanish and Catalan cuisine fusion and a seemingly infinite line-up of unassuming tapas bars, all-day eateries and upscale, Michelin-starred restaurants.
Madrid, the home of patatas bravas, was praised for its hidden gems, Michelin stars and popular food tours.
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20
- Endangered rhino, lion, hippo and tigers part of more than 200 species found at illegal taxidermist in Spain - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 11:26