Estate agencies have reported a 100% year-on-year increase in purchases by UK buyers over the past 12 months.
The BBVA bank’s forecast that Spanish property prices will rise 5% this year has been a key reason.
“We’ve seen a sustained increase in British buyers on the Costa del Sol over the past year,” said Marc Pritchard, Sales and Marketing Director of Taylor Wimpey España.
“The exchange rate has a huge influence over such matters. We’ve also seen a 15% increase in the number of property reservations across mainland Spain and the Balearic Islands as a whole, with reservations now at their highest level for seven years.”
According to xe.com, the past 90 days have seen just 0.32% volatility in the GBP/EUR exchange rate, from a low of 1.12014 to a high of 1.15801. The result is an increase in British buyer confidence.
The figures coincide with the CEO of Costa del Sol Tourism, Jacobo Florido, announcing the ‘most important summer’ in the region’s history.
Both tourist numbers and income are projected to grow by 2% over the year – following a record-breaking 2017, when 12.5 million visitors arrived in the Costa del Sol, up 6.4% on the previous year.
An additional 80,000 visitors from the UK helped to bolster the figures.
It seems the costa’s stunning beaches and lifestyle offer have eclipsed buyers’ Brexit worries, leading to a surge in interest in Spanish second homes on the Costa del Sol.
“A number of factors are at play here,” added Pritchard, “On the one hand, we’ve seen a relatively stable GBP/EUR exchange rate over the last several months. At the same time, interest in the Costa del Sol in general is rising.
“Then there are the age-old attractions of the area’s pristine beaches and golf courses. All of this is excellent news for the local tourism sector.”
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18