HE’S been keeping a low profile since he ended his eight-year term as US President, but keep your eyes peeled for Barack Obama this weekend.
According to sources close to the Olive Press, the 56-year-old could be taking a well-earned break in Mallorca starting this Saturday.
The 44th president of the United States is already in Spain to attend an economic conference in Madrid, before jetting off to Porto to speak at a climate change summit on Friday.
“He’s in Madrid on Friday morning, then flies to Portugal, before returning to Madrid,” said the high-level political source.
“He then heads to Mallorca after that, but I can’t tell you any more,” he added.
It is thought he will be joined by wife Michelle for some well earned R&R in the sunny Balearics next week.
It comes after Michelle promised to return with her husband and family, after a short break in Mallorca last summer.
She has twice had holidays on the island as friends of the former US Ambassador to Spain, James Costos.
Obama and wife Michelle are also believed to have been at the wedding of tech tycoon Elon Musk’s brother in Girona last weekend.
Obama, who has a close relationship with the Spanish royal family, first fell in love with the country after enjoying a backpacking tour when he was just a teenager.
“I didn’t come in the Air Force One, I was young, carrying just a backpack and I went trekking around the country eating cheap food,” he fondly recalled during one of his last presidential visits to Spain in 2016.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03