SPAIN’S progress to a low-carbon economy has taken a huge step forward with half of all power coming from renewable energy.
Data from Red Electrica de Espana shows that 45.8% of electricity came from renewable resources.
The data, which was taken from January and June, shows an 8.5% increase in renewable production.
At the end of 2015, Spain was the world’s fifth biggest producer of wind power with Cadiz home to Acciona Energía – the world’s largest wind farm builder and developer.
A government backed ‘Electricity Act’ and heavy investment in wind turbines have helped Spain hit 45% of renewable power.
Heavy rainfall in Spain earlier this year helped hydro production reach over 20,000 GWH (Gigawatt per Hour), equal to 16.9% of power.
Over the past decade, Spain has increased its renewable power by 53% with companies looking to invest a further 30,500 megawatts of new capacity to further support the integration of renewables.
A strong renewable energy sector will help Spain’s position within the Paris Accord Agreement: an agreement by most nations to combat climate change.
The success of Spain’s wind power industry has seen electricity supplied to 18.4% of Spain and employment figures by this booming sector, has bought 22,468 jobs to the country.
Spain is now ranked the fifth country in installed wind power and the fourth in wind turbine exporting in the world.
- MONKEYING AROUND: All you need to know about Gibraltar’s mischievous macaques - 9 Sep, 2018 @ 15:00
- Mayor of Algeciras claims Spanish town is now ‘migrant crisis epicentre’ - 27 Jul, 2018 @ 12:11
- Ryanair staff working under a ‘terror regime’ as strikes continue to affect Spain - 26 Jul, 2018 @ 11:19
- This years Spanish Super Cup final is to be played in… Morocco - 25 Jul, 2018 @ 17:09
- Spain’s new PP leader seeks to move the party ‘back to its roots’ - 25 Jul, 2018 @ 14:08
- GET SET FOR CLEARING: University of Gibraltar’s top tips for those who don’t get their predicted grades - 24 Jul, 2018 @ 14:03
- 60 people had to be evacuated from their homes following fire in Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:19
- BREAKING: Firefighters called in to tackle blaze on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 Jul, 2018 @ 18:20
- Survivor of capsized migrant boat transferred to hospital in Spain - 21 Jul, 2018 @ 13:59
- Ryanair launches new campaign as passengers face flight cancellations in Spain - 20 Jul, 2018 @ 18:46