Considered the oldest continuously inhabited settlement in Europe, founded by the Phoenicians in around 1100 BC, the ancient city is an enchanting place to get lost, whether it be down the winding alleys of the Old Town or admiring the eroding walls of the many historic plazas.
Boasting a number of beautiful beaches, Cadiz is a true sunworshipper’s paradise.
Its La Playa de la Caleta and the promenade were even used as a set for Cuban scenes in the James Bond Die Another Day movie, as the area resembles Havana’s famous Malecon.
For over 200 years, the city has been known as La Tacita de Plata (The Silver Teacup), as it was once the third most wealthy city in Spain, following Madrid and Barcelona.
Meanwhile others say Cadiz’s beauty is enhanced by the glistening sun’s beams bouncing off the water, casting a ‘silver’ reflection on its ancient walls.
Artisan Cadiz’s yellow-domed baroque- neoclassical cathedral is a sight to behold and a walk down the promenade with an artisan ice cream in hand is one of the best ways to admire it.
With the smell of fresh fish in the air, the city is famous for its fresh seafood and there are plenty of places to try it in the Barrio de la Vina.
Another way to experience Cadiz’s history is with a free trip to the remains of a Roman amphitheatre, followed by an intimate flamenco show in the city which helped invent flamenco.
- Living with Gaudi – Turkish art dealer builds home inside iconic tourist attraction - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 18:38
- Spain tops global health league but all is not well for expats - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 16:59
- Lady Elizabeth School, in Benitachell Alicante, is to have its grand inauguration this month - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:32
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05
- Most Attractive Industries to Invest in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:01
- Ceramics are the hot new design trend styling up interiors this year - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 10:22
- Architect of Spain’s largest indoor sports arena scoops this year’s prestigious Pritzker Prize - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 18:04
- The Brits have not stopped investing in Spanish property with a 12% rise in purchases last year - 16 Mar, 2019 @ 17:43
- World’s greatest F1 champ spotted on the island in first sighting since 2013 - 16 Mar, 2019 @ 13:57
- Siestas ‘help treat high blood pressure’ - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 11:48