Considered the oldest continuously inhabited settlement in Europe, founded by the Phoenicians in around 1100 BC, the ancient city is an enchanting place to get lost, whether it be down the winding alleys of the Old Town or admiring the eroding walls of the many historic plazas.
Boasting a number of beautiful beaches, Cadiz is a true sunworshipper’s paradise.
Its La Playa de la Caleta and the promenade were even used as a set for Cuban scenes in the James Bond Die Another Day movie, as the area resembles Havana’s famous Malecon.
For over 200 years, the city has been known as La Tacita de Plata (The Silver Teacup), as it was once the third most wealthy city in Spain, following Madrid and Barcelona.
Meanwhile others say Cadiz’s beauty is enhanced by the glistening sun’s beams bouncing off the water, casting a ‘silver’ reflection on its ancient walls.
Artisan Cadiz’s yellow-domed baroque- neoclassical cathedral is a sight to behold and a walk down the promenade with an artisan ice cream in hand is one of the best ways to admire it.
With the smell of fresh fish in the air, the city is famous for its fresh seafood and there are plenty of places to try it in the Barrio de la Vina.
Another way to experience Cadiz’s history is with a free trip to the remains of a Roman amphitheatre, followed by an intimate flamenco show in the city which helped invent flamenco.
- 11 Reasons Why Over 75,000 International Students Choose to Study in Spain - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 19:05
- Out of this world: ‘Green Spaceship’ to dock in Madrid - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:24
- After a five-year period of sustained growth, there is a change in the air in Marbella, reports Diana Morales Properties - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:14
- Rule-breaking Madrid design firm gives grunge office block some colour therapy - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 18:52
- The latest mega-development for Gibraltar has all the signs of being a big hit with investors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:43
- Madrid architects take centre stage with their dramatic conversion of a historic playhouse - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:25
- BBQ King: Ingenious pellet stove barbecues are a dream come true for cooking outdoors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:09
- Famous British businessman and Premier League football star flock to new Benahavis development - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:08
- Barcelona Unesco treasure hosts Scottish cancer charity’s first care centre on the continent - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:47
- Amazing conversion: how to bring a beautiful old abandoned 18th century townhouse back to life - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:40