MAYOR Jose Ignacio Landaluce has said his ‘town couldn’t cope’ as around 1,600 migrants land in Spain, arriving predominantly in Algeciras last week.
Landaluce has criticized the EU, warning that Algeciras could become ‘the new Lampedusa’, a Italian town that has struggled to cope with the recent migrant crisis.
The Mayor of Algeciras, has called for caution: “We’ve never, ever, ever had 1,000 migrants arriving in Spain each weekend. And all this could just be for starters.
“There’s a lot of the summer left and there are thousands and thousands of migrants arriving on the coasts of north Africa and thousands and thousands more who have been waiting to cross for months or years.”
The news comes after the Spanish Maritime Service had to rescue 1,000 migrants fleeing Africa and were picked up in the Strait of Gibraltar last weekend.
A survivor from a capsized wreckage was also transferred to a Spanish hospital after being found next to two dead bodies in Palma, Mallorca.
- MONKEYING AROUND: All you need to know about Gibraltar’s mischievous macaques - 9 Sep, 2018 @ 15:00
- Mayor of Algeciras claims Spanish town is now ‘migrant crisis epicentre’ - 27 Jul, 2018 @ 12:11
- Ryanair staff working under a ‘terror regime’ as strikes continue to affect Spain - 26 Jul, 2018 @ 11:19
- This years Spanish Super Cup final is to be played in… Morocco - 25 Jul, 2018 @ 17:09
- Spain’s new PP leader seeks to move the party ‘back to its roots’ - 25 Jul, 2018 @ 14:08
- GET SET FOR CLEARING: University of Gibraltar’s top tips for those who don’t get their predicted grades - 24 Jul, 2018 @ 14:03
- 60 people had to be evacuated from their homes following fire in Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:19
- BREAKING: Firefighters called in to tackle blaze on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 Jul, 2018 @ 18:20
- Survivor of capsized migrant boat transferred to hospital in Spain - 21 Jul, 2018 @ 13:59
- Ryanair launches new campaign as passengers face flight cancellations in Spain - 20 Jul, 2018 @ 18:46