A SECOND man has died of heatstroke in Murcia as the European heatwave continues into the weekend.
The 78-year-old was working on his allotment when he collapsed due to the heat.
An ambulance arrived shortly after in temperatures above 40C, but the pensioner was pronounced dead on arrival to hospital.
The incident follows the death of a construction worker yesterday whilst he was working on a motorway maintenance project in the same region.
The two deaths are the first to have been caused in Europe as a direct result of the heatwave, and temperatures are set to rise over the weekend.
Weather warnings have been issued in 39 provinces across Spain with records set to be broken over the next few days.
Meteorologists are warning temperatures could reach as high as the mid 40s in areas near Andalucia.
- British expat pensioners fear no-deal Brexit after already losing more than a fifth of their spending power - 17 Aug, 2018 @ 12:21
- WATCH: Hundreds left injured after wooden walkway collapses into sea at festival in Spain - 13 Aug, 2018 @ 13:52
- Virgin to test the Hyperloop One in Malaga after agreeing a deal with ADIF - 11 Aug, 2018 @ 16:00
- WATCH: Brazen couple have full on beach romp in broad daylight in Spain - 8 Aug, 2018 @ 12:41
- Andalucia calls for redistribution of migrant minors across Spain as infrastructure struggles to cope - 7 Aug, 2018 @ 13:04
- Seven dead in Spain as killer heatwave continues to spread across Europe - 7 Aug, 2018 @ 10:54
- WATCH: Russian Mafia leader arrested on Spain’s Costa del Sol while ‘plotting gang rival’s murder’ - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 18:10
- FOUND: 76-year-old British expat not seen for a week after leaving hospital found ‘injured but alive’ on Costa del Sol - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 10:57
- British lad ‘tried to take a poo over balcony’ before plunging six floors in Spain, remains in critical condition - 3 Aug, 2018 @ 17:15
- Second man dies in southern Spain as heatwave spreads across Europe - 3 Aug, 2018 @ 16:37