POLICE have seized cocaine worth more than £15 million (almost €17 million) on a luxury UK-registered yacht close to the Ibiza coast.
Officials say it is the biggest cocaine haul they have ever discovered on the Balearic Islands.
It comes after 300 kilos of the Class A drug were intercepted on Sunday morning around 15 miles from Ibiza.
Five people, who were on board the lavish yacht, have been arrested in connection to the load.
While the boat was flying a Gibraltar flag, four of the suspects are Dutch and one is German.
Half of the cocaine was found in packets tied with ropes and the rest was discovered under the floor of the captain’s cabin in a secret compartment.
The vessel was tracked by Policia Nacional leaving Palma and heading towards the mainland.
Officials found the crew collecting bales of cocaine which had been thrown into the sea from a larger ship.
The common “drop off” technique allows smaller boats to pick up the drugs and take them back to the coast.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03