THE fast Edwardian set’s favourite Madrid hotel is back in business with a brand new look for a new century.
The Gran Hotel Ingles was a reference point for high class hospitality in Spain when it opened in 1886, boasting luxuries unheard of for the times – lifts, lighting, steam heating and bathrooms on every floor.
It quickly became the haunt of well-heeled travellers, socialites, intellectuals and artists like author Virginia Woolf and French painter Henri Matisse.
Some 130 years later, after falling into a state of disrepair, this neglected grand dame
in the Barrio de las Letras has been reborn as an Art Deco boutique hotel after a $20 million (€17 million) refit by the Rockwell Group.
Bringing the capital’s oldest luxury hotel into the 21st century was not without its challenges, including reducing the room count from 72 to 48, but many of the original features have been wittily reused in the new design.
Old wall mouldings were deconstructed and extended across the ceiling to create a pattern resembling electric circuits; time-faded photographs of guests decorate the walls; and wardrobes are lined with wallpaper copies of the hotel’s vintage postcards.
There’s even a 1920’s Great Gatsby-style library where guests can choose from over 600 books.
- WATCH: Dramatic six-car pile-up blocks Marbella tunnel as Guardia Civil on scene - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:58
- Mallorca finca featured in New York Times - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:21
- World Trade Center Gibraltar celebrates two years of thriving international business - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 09:45
- New dawn – Renovations at Marbella’s Beach House restaurant - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 09:38
- BREXIT: Everything British expats in Spain need to know - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 17:25
- Top 5 Travel Apps to Use in 2019 - 12 Feb, 2019 @ 09:14
- SPERM on the menu at restaurant in Spain first - 9 Feb, 2019 @ 09:41
- Is bar-hopping in San Sebastian as good as its three Michelin star restaurants? - 1 Feb, 2019 @ 18:37
- WEDDING BALLS: Rafael Nadal to marry childhood sweetheart Xisca Perello after 14-year wait - 30 Jan, 2019 @ 15:24
- EXCLUSIVE: Family of little Julen ‘must not be charged’, says Marbella lawyer representing uncle of tragic toddler - 30 Jan, 2019 @ 11:49