A GROUP of expats are appealing for funds to help a homeless expat pensioner get back on his feet after he lost his entire family.
Rebecca Pattinson, 26 and fiance Dave Langshaw, 32, took in Graham Nobbs last week after noticing him sleeping rough in a Lidl car park, in Albox, Almeria.
The Stockport couple want to help the 69-year-old, originally from Kent, to get a passport, bank account and NIE number.
“Graham is an incredibly intelligent man,” Rebecca told the Olive Press this week.
“He hasn’t been able to claim any of the pension that he is owed as he has no bank account, passport or any means of communication with the pension people back in the UK.”
The kind-hearted couple, joined by several others, have set up a ‘gofundme’ page where people can donate to help Graham, who worked as a salesman for House of Fraser and Barclays in Kensington, and who has walked around 25,000 miles across Spain since becoming homeless five years ago.
Another couple have already set up a fundraising page which has so far raised €400 and Rebecca says any extra money will go towards getting Graham a flat of his own.
She told the Olive Press: “It’s not right to see a frail old man on the street, we’re not heroes, we’re just doing the kind thing.
“It’s really opened both of our eyes over the past few days and it makes you appreciate the little things.”
The expats have already raised hundreds but are hoping to get to €1000 and are still looking for donations to their page, which can be found here: www.gofundme.com/helpforgraham.
Do you have a positive expat story? Someone who has done something special? As a community newspaper we want to hear your stories… email [email protected]
- British men among seven arrested in Marbella for smuggling three tonnes of hash to Costa del Sol marinas - 26 Mar, 2019 @ 14:26
- WATCH: Spain’s Guardia Civil drag ‘drunk’ woman and partner off Ryanair flight after they told passenger ‘let’s take it outside’ mid-flight - 26 Mar, 2019 @ 12:22
- Dead body of ‘clothed’ middle-aged man found on beach in southern Spain - 25 Mar, 2019 @ 20:15
- Pedro Sanchez leads tributes to 14-year-old killed in motorcycle race in Spain’s Andalucia - 25 Mar, 2019 @ 11:25
- BREXIT FOOD MAP: Which Spanish produce will be most affected when the UK leaves the EU? - 24 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03