A GROUP of expats are appealing for funds to help a homeless expat pensioner get back on his feet after he lost his entire family.
Rebecca Pattinson, 26 and fiance Dave Langshaw, 32, took in Graham Nobbs last week after noticing him sleeping rough in a Lidl car park, in Albox, Almeria.
The Stockport couple want to help the 69-year-old, originally from Kent, to get a passport, bank account and NIE number.
“Graham is an incredibly intelligent man,” Rebecca told the Olive Press this week.
“He hasn’t been able to claim any of the pension that he is owed as he has no bank account, passport or any means of communication with the pension people back in the UK.”
The kind-hearted couple, joined by several others, have set up a ‘gofundme’ page where people can donate to help Graham, who worked as a salesman for House of Fraser and Barclays in Kensington, and who has walked around 25,000 miles across Spain since becoming homeless five years ago.
Another couple have already set up a fundraising page which has so far raised €400 and Rebecca says any extra money will go towards getting Graham a flat of his own.
She told the Olive Press: “It’s not right to see a frail old man on the street, we’re not heroes, we’re just doing the kind thing.
“It’s really opened both of our eyes over the past few days and it makes you appreciate the little things.”
The expats have already raised hundreds but are hoping to get to €1000 and are still looking for donations to their page, which can be found here: www.gofundme.com/helpforgraham.
Do you have a positive expat story? Someone who has done something special? As a community newspaper we want to hear your stories… email [email protected]
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06
- Gibraltarians FUMING after Ronnie O’Sullivan says he’d rather ‘sleep in pig sty’ than play snooker in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:11
- WATCH: ‘Woman not wearing shoes’ sparks bloody brawl on Ryanair flight from UK to Spain - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 10:50
- Neighbours of British expat accused of murdering wife in Spain say he bugged phones and was obsessed with security - 13 Mar, 2019 @ 20:53
- Village in Spain ‘bewildered’ as Robin Hood mystery figure slides cash envelopes of up to €100 under doors - 13 Mar, 2019 @ 19:21