FURTHER yellow and orange warnings for severe rain and thunderstorms have been issued across Malaga.
It comes after AEMET raised another set warnings last night lasting until 6pm today, triggering the Ayuntamiento de Malaga to activate an emergency plan.
Tha Antequera and Ronda areas are under yellow alert, while the Costa del Sol, Axarquia and Guadalhorce face orange warnings.
Geplaatst door Susana Chraibi Martin op Donderdag 18 oktober 2018
Shocking images circulating on social media show how the lashings of rain have already left numerous streets flooded in Malaga city centre, Torremolinos and Mijas today.
According to AEMET up to 180 litres per square meter will fall over 12 hours.
— Málaga Urgente (@MalagaUrgente) October 18, 2018
A so-called “cold drop” – a sudden fall in temperatures along the east coast caused by the arrival of cold polar air – is typical in Autumn in the Mediterranean, AEMET spokesperson Rubén del Campo told El Pais, but a drop this severe has not occurred since October 2008.
Andalucia, along with the Balearic Islands, Murcia, Valencia, Catalunya and Aragon are predicted to be the worst hit regions in Spain.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03