AS Andalucia is placed under a dangerous red alert severe flooding, thunderstorms and torrential rain have left Andalucian towns almost engulfed in water.
Shocking videos of streets submerged in water have been shared on social media showing the extent of the destruction wrought by the torrential rain.
Estepona port is currently engulfed in metres-deep water.
Campillos has faced some of the worst flooding to hit Malaga, which have already tragically claimed the life of a firefighter.
Extreme flooding in Campillos, Malaga, south Spain last night, October 20/21. One fatality reported. Report: Extremadura Noticias – EXN#
Some locals have taken to social media to express their frustration at the delay in issuing a red alert.
‘AEMET can you explain how it helps putting out a red alert when 120 litres of water have already fallen in half an hour? Campillos is like this right now. Thank you.’
— Javier García Marín (@JaviMarinBlanco) October 20, 2018
A primary school wall in Ronda was dramatically torn down during the storm, at colegio Fernando de los Rios.
— j??†??l? (@_jartible) October 21, 2018
— Luis G. Parejo Barba (@AligpbG) October 20, 2018
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03