REAL Madrid have sacked their manager Julen Lopetegui tonight after his side were humiliated by Barcelona at Camp Nou yesterday.
Lopetegui parts ways with the club after just 14 matches, as Real Madrid currently sit 9th in the table, following one of the worst starts to the season in their history.
Just four and a half months into the job at the Bernabeu, the final nail in the coffin came for Lopetegui, as his side were thrashed 5-1 by Barcelona.
Since 1929, only one Real Madrid manager – Antonio Camacho in 2004 – has been at the helm for fewer games than Lopetegui.
With six wins, two draws, six losses and a goal difference of plus one it is no surprise that Lopetegui has been given the sack.
Ex-Chelsea boss Antonio Conte is in ‘advanced talks’ with Real Madrid to replace Lopetegui, while in the meantime Real Madrid will appoint Santiago Solari, coach of B team Castilla, as caretaker manager.
A club statement read: “The board considers there to be a large disparity between the quality within the Real Madrid squad, which boasts eight nominees for the next Ballon d’Or award – an unprecedented number in the club’s history – and the team’s results to date.”
It has not been a good year for Lopetegui, who was sacked from managing Spain’s national team, just before the World Cup in Russia began this year.
More to follow…
- Hard Rock Cafe confirm second Costa del Sol restaurant WILL open in March, featuring Cher’s trousers and Bon Jovi guitar - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 18:27
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57