REAL Madrid have sacked their manager Julen Lopetegui tonight after his side were humiliated by Barcelona at Camp Nou yesterday.
Lopetegui parts ways with the club after just 14 matches, as Real Madrid currently sit 9th in the table, following one of the worst starts to the season in their history.
Just four and a half months into the job at the Bernabeu, the final nail in the coffin came for Lopetegui, as his side were thrashed 5-1 by Barcelona.
Since 1929, only one Real Madrid manager – Antonio Camacho in 2004 – has been at the helm for fewer games than Lopetegui.
With six wins, two draws, six losses and a goal difference of plus one it is no surprise that Lopetegui has been given the sack.
Ex-Chelsea boss Antonio Conte is in ‘advanced talks’ with Real Madrid to replace Lopetegui, while in the meantime Real Madrid will appoint Santiago Solari, coach of B team Castilla, as caretaker manager.
A club statement read: “The board considers there to be a large disparity between the quality within the Real Madrid squad, which boasts eight nominees for the next Ballon d’Or award – an unprecedented number in the club’s history – and the team’s results to date.”
It has not been a good year for Lopetegui, who was sacked from managing Spain’s national team, just before the World Cup in Russia began this year.
More to follow…
- Gibraltar to install 17 speed bumps on Rock to protect ‘vulnerable’ baby monkeys from drivers - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 13:44
- Number of Brits on Costa del Sol increases for first time since before Brexit - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:14
- Man in Spain arrested over double knife attack at Ryanair check-in desk that saw woman stabbed in ear - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:33
- Tourism companies in Spain outraged at being handed limits on daily beach visitors with some as low as 250 per day - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33