SPAIN produces more pumpkins than any other member state of the European union (EU).
The country grows 115,000 tonnes of the orange vegetable a year, 19,000 tonnes more than their nearest vegetable rival France, who annually produce 96,000.
Data was collected by Eurostat and in 2017 about 24,000 hectares were devoted to cultivating pumpkins and other types of gourd.
Germany came 3rd in the list of gourd growers, producing 92,000 tonnes annually, while Portugal and Poland came 4th and 5th each with hauls of 75,000 tonnes a year.
Pumpkin sales spike around Halloween, where they are used for carving, a practice first thought to have been done by the Maori 700 years ago.
- DEATH CHEAT: 79-year-old in Gibraltar swims to shore after boat capsizes in dramatic survival feat - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 12:33
- Woman in Spain dies and 18 others sick after eating mushrooms at Michelin-starred restaurant - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:48
- Spain-Morocco railway tunnel talks underway government says - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:01
- WATCH: Dead sheep mysteriously washes up on Gibraltar beach (WARNING: distressing images) - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 18:41
- WATCH: Police in Spain ‘fire rubber bullets’ at Scottish football fans after Benidorm bar ‘torched’ and man arrested for crystal meth - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:08
- Vandalised Malaga cultural centre has CCTV installed in police crackdown on graffiti - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:41
- Hard Rock Cafe confirm second Costa del Sol restaurant WILL open in March, featuring Cher’s trousers and Bon Jovi guitar - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 18:27
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17