THE teen who almost plunged to her death from El Corte Ingles this afternoon is believed to be a British expat.
According to a fellow classmate, the girl, 16, who is believed to attend Aloha College, announced her part in a suicide pact on social media.
The boy, who is now believed to have been 14, also sent out messages online that he and the girl were going to jump from the top of the Puerto Banus department store.
Guards at the store learned of the suicide pact after concerned friends sounded the alarm.
They rushed to the roof but were unable to save the boy, thought to be of Brazilian descent.
They managed to grab the girl, who was hesitant to jump.
Both are believed to attend the private school Aloha College in Marbella.
Early reports initially suggested the young boy was British but his nationality has yet to be confirmed, although they are described as having ‘foreign parents’.
Emergency services tried to resuscitate the boy but he died at the scene.
The girl has been taking to a health centre in Malaga after suffering an anxiety attack.
One expat said on social media that her son knows both the boy and the girl.
“My son knows both of them and is so sad,” she wrote, “I am utterly shocked and so sorry for all involved.”
More to follow…
CORRECTION: A previous version of this article stated that the boy who plunged to his death was believed to be British
- Expats rally around British pensioner made homeless on Spain’s Costa del Sol as alleged ‘squatter tenants’ speak out - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 20:32
- British expats and locals FUMING as celebrity chef Dani Garcia’s chiringuito gets go ahead on protected land in southern Spain - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:16
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09