BARCELONA has beaten Madrid to be crowned Spain’s ‘most liveable’ city, as a list of the world’s top 50 is released.
The five criteria used to calculate each city’s score were stability, education, culture and environment, health and infrastructure.
Both Spanish cities had identical scores for the first three categories, but Barcelona edged ahead with better health and infrastructure rankings than Madrid.
London only made it to number 48 (89.1%) on the list, as Spain’s most liveable urban areas also placed higher than Ireland’s best city, Dublin, which finished 41 (90.7%).
Manchester is the most liveable British city at number 35, ahead of Madrid, with a habitability score of 91.3%.
Australia, Canada and Japan dominate the top 10, but the number one spot goes to Vienna, Austria, which received a near-perfect score of 99.1%.
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48
- Pensioner holidaying on Costa del Sol drowns in front of his wife - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘Widespread’ increase in ocean plastic on Costa del Sol with ‘strikingly’ high microplastic levels in Malaga - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 10:27
- Costa del Sol toll charges to be scrapped THIS YEAR - 5 Jun, 2019 @ 18:58
- Spain’s Supreme Court blocks reburial of General Franco just days before body due to be dug up - 5 Jun, 2019 @ 17:49