BARCELONA has beaten Madrid to be crowned Spain’s ‘most liveable’ city, as a list of the world’s top 50 is released.
The five criteria used to calculate each city’s score were stability, education, culture and environment, health and infrastructure.
Both Spanish cities had identical scores for the first three categories, but Barcelona edged ahead with better health and infrastructure rankings than Madrid.
London only made it to number 48 (89.1%) on the list, as Spain’s most liveable urban areas also placed higher than Ireland’s best city, Dublin, which finished 41 (90.7%).
Manchester is the most liveable British city at number 35, ahead of Madrid, with a habitability score of 91.3%.
Australia, Canada and Japan dominate the top 10, but the number one spot goes to Vienna, Austria, which received a near-perfect score of 99.1%.
- DEATH CHEAT: 79-year-old in Gibraltar swims to shore after boat capsizes in dramatic survival feat - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 12:33
- Woman in Spain dies and 18 others sick after eating mushrooms at Michelin-starred restaurant - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:48
- Spain-Morocco railway tunnel talks underway government says - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:01
- WATCH: Dead sheep mysteriously washes up on Gibraltar beach (WARNING: distressing images) - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 18:41
- WATCH: Police in Spain ‘fire rubber bullets’ at Scottish football fans after Benidorm bar ‘torched’ and man arrested for crystal meth - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:08
- Vandalised Malaga cultural centre has CCTV installed in police crackdown on graffiti - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:41
- Hard Rock Cafe confirm second Costa del Sol restaurant WILL open in March, featuring Cher’s trousers and Bon Jovi guitar - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 18:27
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17