BARCELONA has beaten Madrid to be crowned Spain’s ‘most liveable’ city, as a list of the world’s top 50 is released.
The five criteria used to calculate each city’s score were stability, education, culture and environment, health and infrastructure.
Both Spanish cities had identical scores for the first three categories, but Barcelona edged ahead with better health and infrastructure rankings than Madrid.
London only made it to number 48 (89.1%) on the list, as Spain’s most liveable urban areas also placed higher than Ireland’s best city, Dublin, which finished 41 (90.7%).
Manchester is the most liveable British city at number 35, ahead of Madrid, with a habitability score of 91.3%.
Australia, Canada and Japan dominate the top 10, but the number one spot goes to Vienna, Austria, which received a near-perfect score of 99.1%.
- BREXIT FOOD MAP: Which Spanish produce will be most affected when the UK leaves the EU? - 24 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26