DIABETES is the leading cause of vision impairment and blindness among working age adults.
There are currently 415 million suffers worldwide and their number is predicted to increase to 640 million by 2040.
To mark World Diabetes Day this week, Nerea Galdos from Specsavers Opticas in Marbella is answering your questions on diabetic retinopathy.
What is diabetic retinopathy?
A condition which leads to blurry vision which can often come and go throughout the day.
It occurs when the blood vessels in the retina are damaged by changes in blood sugar levels.
How does it cause sight loss?
If untreated, the condition can become more serious, resulting in the network of blood vessels which supply the retina suffering permanent damage. This can result in irreversible vision loss.
How can you avoid sight loss?
It is important that blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels are controlled. In many cases this can be achieved through good nutrition and healthy eating rather than medication. With the right information you can take back control of diabetes and lead a full life.
How can I check if my sight has been affected?
Not all diabetes causes sight loss, but it is important to have regular screenings and eye tests so that any problems or changes can be monitored. Most complications can be treated, however it is vital that they are detected early. Once vision is lost, it cannot be restored.
Specsavers Opticas have stores in Marbella and Fuengirola on the Costa del Sol. They offer advanced eye tests using a digital retinal camera, allowing the optician to take a detailed picture of the back of the eye. These comprehensive eye tests are able to detect the signs of diabetic retinopathy. If these signs are identified during an eye test, patients are referred to a doctor for further tests and treatment.
To book your eye test and find your nearest store visit www.specsavers.es
- 11 new villages make it onto Spain’s ‘most beautiful’ list - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:40
- FAB FRESCOS: Spain has some of the best, but how many do you recognise? - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 10:51
- Maldonado’s Mijas is like nowhere else says Bill Anderson as just five are running the town council - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Benabola Hotel in Marbella gets a revamped roof terrace ready for the summer season - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- EXPANSION: Pole position as long-running expat agent opens fifth office in central Marbella - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:31
- Using Cryptocurrency as a Major Mode of Payment - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 07:58
- WATCH: Dramatic six-car pile-up blocks Marbella tunnel as Guardia Civil on scene - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:58
- Mallorca finca featured in New York Times - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:21
- World Trade Center Gibraltar celebrates two years of thriving international business - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 09:45
- New dawn – Renovations at Marbella’s Beach House restaurant - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 09:38