DIABETES is the leading cause of vision impairment and blindness among working age adults.
There are currently 415 million suffers worldwide and their number is predicted to increase to 640 million by 2040.
To mark World Diabetes Day this week, Nerea Galdos from Specsavers Opticas in Marbella is answering your questions on diabetic retinopathy.
What is diabetic retinopathy?
A condition which leads to blurry vision which can often come and go throughout the day.
It occurs when the blood vessels in the retina are damaged by changes in blood sugar levels.
How does it cause sight loss?
If untreated, the condition can become more serious, resulting in the network of blood vessels which supply the retina suffering permanent damage. This can result in irreversible vision loss.
How can you avoid sight loss?
It is important that blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels are controlled. In many cases this can be achieved through good nutrition and healthy eating rather than medication. With the right information you can take back control of diabetes and lead a full life.
How can I check if my sight has been affected?
Not all diabetes causes sight loss, but it is important to have regular screenings and eye tests so that any problems or changes can be monitored. Most complications can be treated, however it is vital that they are detected early. Once vision is lost, it cannot be restored.
Specsavers Opticas have stores in Marbella and Fuengirola on the Costa del Sol. They offer advanced eye tests using a digital retinal camera, allowing the optician to take a detailed picture of the back of the eye. These comprehensive eye tests are able to detect the signs of diabetic retinopathy. If these signs are identified during an eye test, patients are referred to a doctor for further tests and treatment.
To book your eye test and find your nearest store visit www.specsavers.es
- 11 Reasons Why Over 75,000 International Students Choose to Study in Spain - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 19:05
- Out of this world: ‘Green Spaceship’ to dock in Madrid - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:24
- After a five-year period of sustained growth, there is a change in the air in Marbella, reports Diana Morales Properties - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:14
- Rule-breaking Madrid design firm gives grunge office block some colour therapy - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 18:52
- The latest mega-development for Gibraltar has all the signs of being a big hit with investors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:43
- Madrid architects take centre stage with their dramatic conversion of a historic playhouse - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:25
- BBQ King: Ingenious pellet stove barbecues are a dream come true for cooking outdoors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:09
- Famous British businessman and Premier League football star flock to new Benahavis development - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:08
- Barcelona Unesco treasure hosts Scottish cancer charity’s first care centre on the continent - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:47
- Amazing conversion: how to bring a beautiful old abandoned 18th century townhouse back to life - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:40