DIABETES is the leading cause of vision impairment and blindness among working age adults.
There are currently 415 million suffers worldwide and their number is predicted to increase to 640 million by 2040.
To mark World Diabetes Day this week, Nerea Galdos from Specsavers Opticas in Marbella is answering your questions on diabetic retinopathy.
What is diabetic retinopathy?
A condition which leads to blurry vision which can often come and go throughout the day.
It occurs when the blood vessels in the retina are damaged by changes in blood sugar levels.
How does it cause sight loss?
If untreated, the condition can become more serious, resulting in the network of blood vessels which supply the retina suffering permanent damage. This can result in irreversible vision loss.
How can you avoid sight loss?
It is important that blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels are controlled. In many cases this can be achieved through good nutrition and healthy eating rather than medication. With the right information you can take back control of diabetes and lead a full life.
How can I check if my sight has been affected?
Not all diabetes causes sight loss, but it is important to have regular screenings and eye tests so that any problems or changes can be monitored. Most complications can be treated, however it is vital that they are detected early. Once vision is lost, it cannot be restored.
Specsavers Opticas have stores in Marbella and Fuengirola on the Costa del Sol. They offer advanced eye tests using a digital retinal camera, allowing the optician to take a detailed picture of the back of the eye. These comprehensive eye tests are able to detect the signs of diabetic retinopathy. If these signs are identified during an eye test, patients are referred to a doctor for further tests and treatment.
To book your eye test and find your nearest store visit www.specsavers.es
- British RAF pilot brings new – and MUCH cheaper – property listing concept to Spain - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 17:21
- Spain’s Supreme Court bans historic bull hunting and spearing tradition in Castilla y Leon - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 11:00
- Malaga’s ‘Banksy’ attracts world attention replicating masterpieces on the streets of Spain and Europe - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 10:00
- M1 Legal is stacking up the victories against Spain’s Timeshare giants - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 11:13
- How to Improve Academic Writing Skills for UK University Admission - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 09:37
- Giant electricity pylons rampaging across the valley vista in Sierra Nevada - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 18:57
- Living with Gaudi – Turkish art dealer builds home inside iconic tourist attraction - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 18:38
- Spain tops global health league but all is not well for expats - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 16:59
- Lady Elizabeth School, in Benitachell Alicante, is to have its grand inauguration this month - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:32
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05