PEDRO Sanchez has celebrated the last minute Brexit deal reached over Gibraltar, calling it a ‘win’ for Spain.
The Spanish Prime Minister was pleased after securing a deal with the European Council and European Commission on Saturday that will see Gibraltar’s post-Brexit relationship with the EU ‘pass through Spain.’
He said: “With Brexit we all lose, especially the United Kingdom, but when it comes to Gibraltar, Spain wins.”
The leader of Spain’s Socialist Party (PSOE) spoke after he and the other 26 EU leaders approved the terms of the UK’s exit from the EU at a summit on Sunday.
After getting her deal past the EU leaders, British Prime Minister Theresa May will now issue a strong message to UK MPs, ahead of their vote in parliament on her Brexit plan.
The Prime Minister will warn MPs of ‘division and uncertainty’ if they do not back her deal, as she faces backlash from Brexit and Remain supporters alike over her plan.
May did admit that she faced a battle persuading MPs to back her, but said ‘I will make the case for this deal with all my heart.’
The BBC have said the vote will likely be on December 12, while the Independent have said that senior EU sources have been told the deal will take place on 10 or 11 of December.
- Dead body of ‘clothed’ middle-aged man found on beach in southern Spain - 25 Mar, 2019 @ 20:15
- Pedro Sanchez leads tributes to 14-year-old killed in motorcycle race in Spain’s Andalucia - 25 Mar, 2019 @ 11:25
- BREXIT FOOD MAP: Which Spanish produce will be most affected when the UK leaves the EU? - 24 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43