BRITISH tourists could be exempt from paying ‘VAT’ in the Canary Islands in a bid to battle Brexit.
President of the Spanish islands Fernando Clavijo said the measure would make the Canaries more competitive and help them achieve ‘better results’.
The archipelago of eight islands would be classed as an ‘an outermost region’ under a new agreement benefiting holidaymakers.
Lanzarote, Gran Canaria and Tenerife, are among the places that currently charge tourists for some products and services, like restaurant bills, under the ‘Canary Indirect General Tax’ (IGIC).
The Canaries do not have actual VAT, instead adopting the similarly wide-ranging IGIC tax, which Clavijo admitted could be scrapped to entice visitors after Brexit.
The President said Canary Island residents had to go ‘hand in hand’ to stave off the negative effects on the pound that Brexit will bring.
He said that the changes would lead to better pay, employment and conditions in the islands.
Around 16 million tourists flocked to the Canaries in 2017, with Brits consistently being the largest group of holidaymakers in the area.
- Hard Rock Cafe confirm second Costa del Sol restaurant WILL open in March, featuring Cher’s trousers and Bon Jovi guitar - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 18:27
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57