BRITISH tourists could be exempt from paying ‘VAT’ in the Canary Islands in a bid to battle Brexit.
President of the Spanish islands Fernando Clavijo said the measure would make the Canaries more competitive and help them achieve ‘better results’.
The archipelago of eight islands would be classed as an ‘an outermost region’ under a new agreement benefiting holidaymakers.
Lanzarote, Gran Canaria and Tenerife, are among the places that currently charge tourists for some products and services, like restaurant bills, under the ‘Canary Indirect General Tax’ (IGIC).
The Canaries do not have actual VAT, instead adopting the similarly wide-ranging IGIC tax, which Clavijo admitted could be scrapped to entice visitors after Brexit.
The President said Canary Island residents had to go ‘hand in hand’ to stave off the negative effects on the pound that Brexit will bring.
He said that the changes would lead to better pay, employment and conditions in the islands.
Around 16 million tourists flocked to the Canaries in 2017, with Brits consistently being the largest group of holidaymakers in the area.
- UK Government denies issuing ‘fresh warning’ of terror threat in Spain - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:34
- UK primary school hires convicted CHILD KILLER from Spain’s Andalucia who stabbed schoolgirl victim 32 times - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:44
- REVEALED: These countries made the most asylum applications to Spain so far this year - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48