POLICE have arrested 16 people who illegally built 14 luxury villas with swimming pools in La Linea.
Investigators believe the 11,000 square metre estate in the El Zabal area was used to launder money.
The high-walled compound is in a neighboured plagued by drug gangs and the whole estate will have to be torn down.
The luxury pads, thought to be home to drug gangs, were built without obtaining a single permit and in flagrant breach of building codes.
A police source in Cadiz told El Pais: “The properties suggest a lifestyle that does not match the income declared by their owners or dwellers.”
Drug gangs provide employment in the poverty-stricken area of La Linea and have therefore earned the loyalty of many.
Police say there are 30 drug gangs in the area, while city chiefs claim there are 1,000 illegal homes in El Zabal.
It comes as Francisco Tejon, leader of the Castanas gang, handed himself in to police after two years hiding out in a network of villas in Los Barrios.
According to a source in the special money laundering task force of the La Linea police, the El Zabal luxury villas were ‘common knowledge’.
In 2018 the land was bought for €28,000 and was divided up into 14 separate plots.
Some of those arrested are under investigation for drug trafficking, while police think the money to buy the land came from selling hash.
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48
- Pensioner holidaying on Costa del Sol drowns in front of his wife - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘Widespread’ increase in ocean plastic on Costa del Sol with ‘strikingly’ high microplastic levels in Malaga - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 10:27
- Costa del Sol toll charges to be scrapped THIS YEAR - 5 Jun, 2019 @ 18:58
- Spain’s Supreme Court blocks reburial of General Franco just days before body due to be dug up - 5 Jun, 2019 @ 17:49