PRIME Minister Pedro Sanchez has vowed to spend €235 billion over the next 10 years in a bid to combat climate change in Spain.
He apologised for the country’s inaction on climate change over the last decade, which he blamed on the hostile economic crisis Spain suffered for around six years.
A new energy and climate change plan is expected to be submitted soon to the European Union, revealed Sanchez, which will see investments of €235 billion from 2021-2030.
He added that a new eco-friendly legislation will be presented to parliament by the end of January.
“Spain is ready to contribute to creating a global economy that is prosperous, fair and ecological,” the PM announced at a high-level discussion in Madrid.
Sanchez added that he is aiming for the newly eco-conscious country to become ‘socially just’, while keeping labourers such as coal miners in mind, who are set to lose their jobs as Spain plans to switch to 100% renewable electricity by 2050.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03