CRISTIANO Ronaldo has been slapped with a 23-month prison sentence and an €18.8m fine for tax evasion.
The Juventus forward, 33, was all smiles as he arrived at court in Madrid on Tuesday with his fiancee Georgina Rodriguez.
Ronaldo, who is a five-time winner of the Ballon d’Or, is unlikely to serve any prison time, due to the non-violent nature of his offence.
In Spain convicts usually don’t do time for sentences under two years and Ronaldo will likely serve his sentence on probation.
The Portuguese athlete’s crimes relate to a period between 2010 and 2014, when he avoided paying tax while a real Madrid Player.
Forbes lists Ronaldo as the third-richest athlete in the world, and he is thought to be worth $108m.
His ex-Los Blancos teammate Xabi Alonso was also in court in the Spanish capital, where he maintained his innocence over three counts of tax evasion.
Prosecutors had asked for a five-year sentence and €4m fine for the Basque player in relation to alleged tax evasion between 2010 and 2012.
Unlike Ronaldo, Alonso did not accept a deal put forward by prosecutors.
He said: “I have the conviction and confidence of having done everything right, collaborating from the start without hiding anything.
“I’ve come here and I’m going to keep going until the end because I have confidence in justice. I’ve done everything okay.”
The Spaniard’s longer sentence also means that he could face prison time.
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 jobs losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03
- SNIFFED OUT: Group in Spain fined €86,000 for cooking stew of protected birds after police smelt it from cliff - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:54
- Guardia Civil cop among 57 arrested in HUGE Costa del Sol drug bust involving 200 officers - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:25