CRISTIANO Ronaldo has been slapped with a 23-month prison sentence and an €18.8m fine for tax evasion.
The Juventus forward, 33, was all smiles as he arrived at court in Madrid on Tuesday with his fiancee Georgina Rodriguez.
Ronaldo, who is a five-time winner of the Ballon d’Or, is unlikely to serve any prison time, due to the non-violent nature of his offence.
In Spain convicts usually don’t do time for sentences under two years and Ronaldo will likely serve his sentence on probation.
The Portuguese athlete’s crimes relate to a period between 2010 and 2014, when he avoided paying tax while a real Madrid Player.
Forbes lists Ronaldo as the third-richest athlete in the world, and he is thought to be worth $108m.
His ex-Los Blancos teammate Xabi Alonso was also in court in the Spanish capital, where he maintained his innocence over three counts of tax evasion.
Prosecutors had asked for a five-year sentence and €4m fine for the Basque player in relation to alleged tax evasion between 2010 and 2012.
Unlike Ronaldo, Alonso did not accept a deal put forward by prosecutors.
He said: “I have the conviction and confidence of having done everything right, collaborating from the start without hiding anything.
“I’ve come here and I’m going to keep going until the end because I have confidence in justice. I’ve done everything okay.”
The Spaniard’s longer sentence also means that he could face prison time.
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35
- Blood-soaked man arrested after allegedly stabbing dad to death before taking bus to hotel on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:08
- Open date REVEALED for ‘deliberately torched’ Marbella chiringuito originally opened by Eva Longoria - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:28
- REVEALED: 10 new UK to Spain flights run by airline Alba Star announced - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:40
- Rick Astley joins Enrique Iglesias, Take That, Mel C and Liam Gallagher at Gibraltar Calling festival THIS SUMMER - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00