THE desperate attempt to rescue little Julen has been delayed yet again.
Miners have been blocked by another hard rock just centimetres away from the presumed location of the two-year-old, who fell down the well in Totalan, Malaga, 12 days ago.
Experts will now have to carry out at least one more controlled explosion to disintegrate the rock and open up a route to the trapped tot.
The team was first delayed by hard rock, or quartzite, yesterday, forcing them to carry out three controlled explosions to move forward today.
The hard terrain has produced a constant battle for the crack team of miners from Asturias.
The eight heroes, who famously rescued the Chilean miners, have been working in pairs digging in 40-minute shifts.
Meanwhile, helicopters and a field hospital are on standby next to the tunnel.
The choppers are ready and waiting to whisk the boy to hospital if necessary, while a team of medical experts are prepped to attend to the boy if there are signs of life.
The mission to rescue the boy is trending on Twitter, with tens of thousands voicing their support using the hashtag #mimanoajulen (my hand to Julen).
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35