THE desperate attempt to rescue little Julen has been delayed yet again.
Miners have been blocked by another hard rock just centimetres away from the presumed location of the two-year-old, who fell down the well in Totalan, Malaga, 12 days ago.
Experts will now have to carry out at least one more controlled explosion to disintegrate the rock and open up a route to the trapped tot.
The team was first delayed by hard rock, or quartzite, yesterday, forcing them to carry out three controlled explosions to move forward today.
The hard terrain has produced a constant battle for the crack team of miners from Asturias.
The eight heroes, who famously rescued the Chilean miners, have been working in pairs digging in 40-minute shifts.
Meanwhile, helicopters and a field hospital are on standby next to the tunnel.
The choppers are ready and waiting to whisk the boy to hospital if necessary, while a team of medical experts are prepped to attend to the boy if there are signs of life.
The mission to rescue the boy is trending on Twitter, with tens of thousands voicing their support using the hashtag #mimanoajulen (my hand to Julen).
- Manhunt underway after young woman ‘held down and raped in the street’ by ex-boyfriend and pals in Spain’s Sevilla - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 16:49
- Another swimmer dies off beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 15:22
- British expat pensioner brutally murdered near Spain’s Costa del Sol wanted to move closer to pals in Estepona following husband’s death - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 14:10
- RED ALERT: Warnings across Spain as temperatures to surpass 40C TODAY before scorcher along Costa del Sol on Friday - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 13:22
- British expats in Spain would have ‘strong case’ to sue UK government in case of no-deal Brexit, MP warns - 23 Jul, 2019 @ 12:10
- IN PICS: Luxury lifestyle of Marbella expat couple accused of cocaine trafficking and money laundering as court orders €4 million seizure of assets - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Dead blue whale found floating in Marbella - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 10:39
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13