AN outpour of solidarity is sweeping across social media as the world anxiously waits for news about two-year-old Julen.
With just centimetres between the miners and the location where they believe Julen Jimenez is trapped, it is a story that has gripped the hearts of not only Spaniards, but people across the globe.
The hashtag #MiManoAJulen – My Hand To Julen – is being used by thousands of social media users to show their support for the Malagueno toddler and his family.
Many have praised the miners who, right now, are underground digging the final centimetres to reach him.
Like his family, friends, and neighbours, everyone is hoping for a happy ending after 12 days of tireless work to reach Julen, who fell down a 107-metre well during a family picnic.
— Lesley Atterwill (@LesleyAtterwill) January 25, 2019
— imaginecreativo (@imaginecreativo) January 18, 2019
— Marco Fondevila (@markofg) January 25, 2019
— Pilar (@ricomtnezp) January 17, 2019
A wave of images of outstretched hands are being posted across Twitter.
Students from local school, IES Ciudad Jardin Malaga, drew Julen’s name on their hands with a heart.
Many have drawn heartbreaking illustrations depicting the little tot down the well with words such as ‘hope’, with hands reaching out to him.
Others have drawn images of miners, with hero capes, digging to reach the toddler.
— IES Ciudad Jardín Málaga (@iescjmalaga) January 18, 2019
— mariniis… ?? (@MarinaR11390275) January 17, 2019
— NaDiia (@NaDiia94210368) January 17, 2019
— Vio Let (@Vio__Let7) January 25, 2019
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03