A BODY has been found in the underwater wreckage of the plane carrying Premier League player Emiliano Sala and pilot David Ibbotson.
The search for the missing Piper Malibu plane the pair were travelling on began on Sunday, almost two weeks after it went missing over the English Channel.
The sighting of the unidentified corpse was confirmed by the Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) on Monday morning.
An AAIB statement said: “The remotely operated vehicle (ROV) carried out a further search of the area overnight, but did not identify any additional pieces of wreckage.
“Tragically, in video footage from the ROV, one occupant is visible amidst the wreckage.
“The AAIB is now considering the next steps, in consultation with the families of the pilot and passenger, and the police.”
Sala, the 28-year-old Argentine, who began his career in Spain had joined Cardiff City in a record transfer of €17m.
But after the forward said goodbye to his teammates at French side Nantes and flew to Wales his flight disappeared near Guernsey.
The gruesome find comes after a private rescue effort by Sala’s family, which raised €371,000, including a €30,000 donation from PSG forward Kylian Mbappe.
Sala’s footballing skills were first spotted in 2009 when he lived in Granada and was scouted for Portuguese side FC Crato.
More to follow…
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59