A BODY has been found in the underwater wreckage of the plane carrying Premier League player Emiliano Sala and pilot David Ibbotson.
The search for the missing Piper Malibu plane the pair were travelling on began on Sunday, almost two weeks after it went missing over the English Channel.
The sighting of the unidentified corpse was confirmed by the Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) on Monday morning.
An AAIB statement said: “The remotely operated vehicle (ROV) carried out a further search of the area overnight, but did not identify any additional pieces of wreckage.
“Tragically, in video footage from the ROV, one occupant is visible amidst the wreckage.
“The AAIB is now considering the next steps, in consultation with the families of the pilot and passenger, and the police.”
Sala, the 28-year-old Argentine, who began his career in Spain had joined Cardiff City in a record transfer of €17m.
But after the forward said goodbye to his teammates at French side Nantes and flew to Wales his flight disappeared near Guernsey.
The gruesome find comes after a private rescue effort by Sala’s family, which raised €371,000, including a €30,000 donation from PSG forward Kylian Mbappe.
Sala’s footballing skills were first spotted in 2009 when he lived in Granada and was scouted for Portuguese side FC Crato.
More to follow…
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 jobs losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03
- SNIFFED OUT: Group in Spain fined €86,000 for cooking stew of protected birds after police smelt it from cliff - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:54
- Guardia Civil cop among 57 arrested in HUGE Costa del Sol drug bust involving 200 officers - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:25