SPANISH Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has recognised Juan Guaido as the interim president of Venezuela.
The Spanish leader was joined by other European nations, the UK, France and Germany, in supporting a new leader in the South American country.
“I recognise the president of Venezuela’s assembly, Mr Juan Guaido, as president in charge of Venezuela,” Sanchez said in a TV statement.
It comes after the under-fire Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro failed to meet an eight-day deadline to call new general elections.
Guaido declared himself the new president of Venezuela, amid a political crisis, in which 3 million people have fled the country.
Under Maduro’s leadership the country has also seen inflation reach 1,300,000%, with millions unable to buy daily essentials like bread and vegetables.
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 jobs losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03
- SNIFFED OUT: Group in Spain fined €86,000 for cooking stew of protected birds after police smelt it from cliff - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:54
- Guardia Civil cop among 57 arrested in HUGE Costa del Sol drug bust involving 200 officers - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:25