A HUGE 82.8 million foreign tourists visited Spain in 2018, new figures have revealed.
Beating 2017’s figure by 1.1%, it was the sixth record-breaking year in a row for Spain, despite renewed competition from the likes of Turkey, Tunisia and Greece.
The huge number of visitors also spent €89.9 billion in the country, a 3.3% increase on the year before, according to the National Statistics Institute (INE).
The figures are a positive sign for the industry, showing that visitor numbers are not expanding massively and risking over-saturation.
Meanwhile, the amount of money tourists are spending is increasing healthily, with the average daily spend by individual tourists growing 7.4% to €146.
And despite the number of British visitors declining by 1.6%, they were by far the biggest foreign group with 18.5 million visiting Spain in 2018.
The number of Germans dropped by 4.1% to 11.4 million while Scandinavian visitor numbers also dropped by 0.7% to 5.7 million.
Spain was able to pick up the slack thanks to a spike in other markets.
Visitors from the US grew by 11.8% to reach just under three million while Russian tourists jumped by 6.3% to 1.2 million.
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40