A HUGE 82.8 million foreign tourists visited Spain in 2018, new figures have revealed.
Beating 2017’s figure by 1.1%, it was the sixth record-breaking year in a row for Spain, despite renewed competition from the likes of Turkey, Tunisia and Greece.
The huge number of visitors also spent €89.9 billion in the country, a 3.3% increase on the year before, according to the National Statistics Institute (INE).
The figures are a positive sign for the industry, showing that visitor numbers are not expanding massively and risking over-saturation.
Meanwhile, the amount of money tourists are spending is increasing healthily, with the average daily spend by individual tourists growing 7.4% to €146.
And despite the number of British visitors declining by 1.6%, they were by far the biggest foreign group with 18.5 million visiting Spain in 2018.
The number of Germans dropped by 4.1% to 11.4 million while Scandinavian visitor numbers also dropped by 0.7% to 5.7 million.
Spain was able to pick up the slack thanks to a spike in other markets.
Visitors from the US grew by 11.8% to reach just under three million while Russian tourists jumped by 6.3% to 1.2 million.
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27