A HUGE 82.8 million foreign tourists visited Spain in 2018, new figures have revealed.
Beating 2017’s figure by 1.1%, it was the sixth record-breaking year in a row for Spain, despite renewed competition from the likes of Turkey, Tunisia and Greece.
The huge number of visitors also spent €89.9 billion in the country, a 3.3% increase on the year before, according to the National Statistics Institute (INE).
The figures are a positive sign for the industry, showing that visitor numbers are not expanding massively and risking over-saturation.
Meanwhile, the amount of money tourists are spending is increasing healthily, with the average daily spend by individual tourists growing 7.4% to €146.
And despite the number of British visitors declining by 1.6%, they were by far the biggest foreign group with 18.5 million visiting Spain in 2018.
The number of Germans dropped by 4.1% to 11.4 million while Scandinavian visitor numbers also dropped by 0.7% to 5.7 million.
Spain was able to pick up the slack thanks to a spike in other markets.
Visitors from the US grew by 11.8% to reach just under three million while Russian tourists jumped by 6.3% to 1.2 million.
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18