THERESA May has promised MPs a vote to delay Britain’s departure from the EU, if they reject her withdrawal deal.
The decision would come by 14 March so long both the prime minister’s deal is rejected and MPs vote against a no deal Brexit in a separate Commons ballot.
This means a no deal departure could only happen with ‘explicit consent’, the PM has said.
May promised a meaningful vote on her amended withdrawal deal by 12 March, with the no deal vote and Brexit delay vote happening in succession.
In a statement to the Commons this afternoon, May said: “Let me be clear, I do not want to see Article 50 extended.
“Our absolute focus should be on working to get a deal and leaving on 29 March.
“An extension beyond the end of June would mean the UK taking part in the European Parliament elections. What kind of message would that send to the more than 17 million people who voted to leave the EU nearly three years ago now?
“And the House should be clear that a short extension – not beyond the end of June – would almost certainly have to be a one-off.”
May has been pressured by a group of Tory rebels who met on Monday night to discuss how they might stop the Britain leaving the EU without a deal.
As many as 15 MPs are said to be prepared to resign, including industry minister Richard Harrington, digital minister Margot James and energy minister Claire Perry.
The move comes after Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn yesterday announced his party’s backing of a second referendum.
- Police capture guinea fowl that sent residents ‘crazy’ with its racket on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 16:23
- Naked effigies of Trump, Hitler, Stalin and Franco torched in Valencia’s Las Fallas festival - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 15:27
- IN PICS: raw sewage pumped out at three places off Nerja beaches - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 14:56
- EU offers Brexit extension until May if MPs support withdrawal deal next week - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 13:07
- British couple arrested for ‘leading’ huge marijuana network on Costa Blanca, caught with €216,000 of drugs including cannabis ‘jelly beans’, ‘jam’ and ‘cream chocolate spread’ - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 12:38
- Drones used for ‘first time’ in battle against toxic caterpillars on Costa Blanca - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 12:11
- Disabled British man found unconscious after ‘intense’ gas cylinder inferno on the Costa Blanca - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 18:17
- NOT A BIN: Plastic fills river on Costa Blanca just hours after a 20-tonne clean-up - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:45
- Benidorm’s legendary Tiki Beach bar re-opens… but now under name ‘Aloha Beach’ - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- IN PICS: eagle-owls and kestrels ELECTROCUTED by cables in crucial Spanish wetland - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 18:09