A BRITISH woman has been arrested in Spain on suspicion of strangling a homeless Romanian man to death.
The 50-year-old expat from Belfast lives in Gran Canaria and was held with a 43-year-old Spaniard on Wednesday.
The victim, 61, a double amputee, was found strangled to death on January 11 in an abandoned building in San Bartolome where he had been sleeping.
Police revealed that the unnamed female suspect, who has no previous convictions, and her accomplice had set fire to the man’s body after covering it in fuel.
A police spokesperson said: “We know the detainees and the victim knew each other but we are not in a position at this stage to offer any information on the possible motive.
“That will form part of the ongoing investigation which is now in the hands of a judge.”
A two-month investigation led officers to the British woman and the court hearing will now take place in private.
Officers with a search warrant raided the homes of the pair and seized clothing that is believed to have been worn by them on the day of the crime.
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03
- SNIFFED OUT: Group in Spain fined €86,000 for cooking stew of protected birds after police smelt it from cliff - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:54
- Guardia Civil cop among 57 arrested in HUGE Costa del Sol drug bust involving 200 officers - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:25
- British chef Jamie Oliver opens NEW restaurant on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 16 May, 2019 @ 11:05
- Financial specialist Blacktower is continuing to make inroads in Spain, offering excellent advice to expats of all nationalities - 15 May, 2019 @ 13:13