A BRITISH woman has been arrested in Spain on suspicion of strangling a homeless Romanian man to death.
The 50-year-old expat from Belfast lives in Gran Canaria and was held with a 43-year-old Spaniard on Wednesday.
The victim, 61, a double amputee, was found strangled to death on January 11 in an abandoned building in San Bartolome where he had been sleeping.
Police revealed that the unnamed female suspect, who has no previous convictions, and her accomplice had set fire to the man’s body after covering it in fuel.
A police spokesperson said: “We know the detainees and the victim knew each other but we are not in a position at this stage to offer any information on the possible motive.
“That will form part of the ongoing investigation which is now in the hands of a judge.”
A two-month investigation led officers to the British woman and the court hearing will now take place in private.
Officers with a search warrant raided the homes of the pair and seized clothing that is believed to have been worn by them on the day of the crime.
- REVEALED: 10 new UK to Spain flights run by airline Alba Star announced - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:40
- Rick Astley joins Enrique Iglesias, Take That, Mel C and Liam Gallagher at Gibraltar Calling festival THIS SUMMER - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- Woman held on suspicion of bludgeoning her sleeping dad to death and knifing mum in back on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 11:55
- American football star caught jumping over bulls at Spain’s San Fermin as veterans SLAM festival as ‘TOO SAFE’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:30
- Young woman arrested after ‘stabbing man in face with fork’ in Gibraltar’s Ocean Village - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:02
- Spanish man arrested over rape of British teenage girl in park in Spain - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:53
- Rock climber drowns in front of daughter after 30-metre plunge into sea near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:16
- Iconic castle on Spain’s Costa del Sol is FINALLY being repaired - 14 Jul, 2019 @ 09:14
- WATCH: Spanish school teacher’s vile RACIST rant at black British men on Spain train, calling them ‘monkeys’ and ‘f**king Africans’ - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 10:03
- Environmental group names and shames 19 Costa del Sol beaches as among worst in Spain - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:01