THE family of an Irish teen have appealed for help following a ‘life-changing’ balcony accident on the Costa del Sol.
Niamh McGeoghegan, 18, fell from a third-floor balcony in Benalmadena on March 17, shattering a large part of her spine and may never walk again.
Her uncle Tony Curran, who described his niece as ‘strong and a fighter’, has set up a fundraiser to help her recovery.
Originally from Warrenpoint in County Down, Niamh is an A-level student at Benalmadena International College.
She was getting ready for a night out when the tragic accident happened and her family have been told she will be paralysed from the waist down.
Niamh was placed in a coma by doctors, and her mum and dad, Claire and Damien from Rostrevor and Bessbrook are now gratefully accepting donations for her rehab.
The money raised will go towards Niamh’s recovery and will help fund the cost of any equipment she may need.
A statement issued by Niamh’s family said: “She spends most of her time being active and would regularly go for long walks, taking the dogs out, go to the gym and socialise with friends.”
The link to the fundraiser for Niamh is here.
This accident comes after a series of balcony falls and there is now a campaign by another young expat (page 2) to raise awareness of the dangers of balconies.
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49
- Two arrested in Spain’s Andalucia over violent drug deaths after bodies dumped down well and car burnt out - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- Thunder and rain from TOMORROW on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 16:46
- Spain pig farm robberies see 15 arrests after man stabbed as thieves bid to raid precious metals more expensive than gold - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 12:20
- British expat fuming after chairs and tables don’t fit into ‘tiny’ new terrace Mallorca town hall painted outside her cafe - 14 Apr, 2019 @ 08:03
- Spain footy star Diego Costa handed eight-match ban and €6,000 fine after red card for telling referee,’I s*** on your w**** mother’ - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 19:08