AN Italian man has been arrested in Alicante after selling his ex-mother-in-law’s car and then lying it had been stolen.
The man, 44, gained a tidy €6,000 from the sale of the Fiat 500 his ex-mother-in-law had allowed him to drive.
But the plot was foiled when the men reported the car as stolen to police, who after a brief investigation discovered the Italian vehicle’s licence plate had been switched for a Spanish one.
Police then recovered documents pertaining to the sale of the car, where the arrested man’s name appeared as the seller.
The man reportedly used a friend’s services to process the change of owner on the car’s paperwork, for which he had to photocopy his mother-in-law’s ID documentation.
The man, who lied to police he had left the car on a street in Alicante before going on holiday, has been released pending court proceedings.
The car was seized by police officers while the court case is resolved.
- Georgina Harvey, President of Original Charity Shop and Library in Javea, named in Queen’s Birthday Honours list - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 16:41
- Dutchman donates 3,000kg of organic ‘solidarity potatoes’ to help struggling families in Javea - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 10:03
- WATCH: Plane drops water on Sierra Helada national park as forest fire blazes above Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 20:06
- WATCH: Brit claim that he ‘slipped’ by pool to recover 37,000 euro hospital bill in Mallorca FAILS after video shows him jumping into a tree - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 15:07
- ‘HE LIKES IT’: Benidorm bar responds to claims that midget stripper advert was a ‘hate crime’ - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 12:12
- BREAKING: First chikungunya outbreak in Spain as three tourists on the Costa Blanca are infected - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Girl of THREE among 79 illegal immigrants intercepted as Guardia Civil arrests Alicante-based trafficking gang - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 13:27
- PICTURED: Romanian woman beheaded on the Costa Blanca as police say arrest ‘imminent’ - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:40
- WATCH: British-run restaurant blocked by ‘two truck loads’ of rubble as neighbour demands 150,000 for strip of land - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:36
- Three ‘pirate taxis’ confiscated from illicit drivers at Alicante-Elche Airport - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 17:51