A BRITISH expat has had his bank account embargoed after putting up a standard football goal in his garden.
The business owner, in his 40s, received a letter from Javea Town Hall saying he had an outstanding debt of €12 added to his local property tax (IBI) for owning a ‘sports facility’.
But the father-of-one, who asked not to be named, failed to pay the tax, leading the Town Hall to embargo his account over the bill.
When contacted this week the expat told the Olive Press his goal ‘must have been spotted on Google Maps’.
“It’s ridiculous and incredibly it’s true,” he confirmed, after publishing his complaint on social media.
A spokeswoman for Javea Town Hall told the Olive Press: “The Spanish Tax Agency has been clamping down on homeowners who neglect to register sports facilities, which increase IBI payments.
“Last year they focused on the Javea area.”
She added that ‘sports facilities’ included pools and other installations and that inspections were made via both Google Maps and even by drone.
She confirmed that ‘hundreds’ of people in Javea had not applied for licences before building such facilities in their gardens, and were also fined €60.
For those who neglected to pay the fine, an extra €12 was added on this year, before bank accounts were finally embargoed.
“It’s ridiculous though to be fined over a football goal,” she admitted, urging the person in question to complain to the Gerencia Territorial del Catastro in Alicante.
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29