An 84-year-old British woman has committed suicide after jumping off a bridge over the dry riverbed in Javea.
Concerned social media users spotted three police cars and an ambulance racing to Javea port just after 7pm yesterday evening (Tuesday).
These were closely followed by another two ambulances and two fire engines, according to eyewitness sources, before the scene was cleared around 9.15pm.
“The woman committed suicide by plunging off a bridge above the dry riverbed,” a spokesperson for the Guardia Civil confirmed to the Olive Press this morning.
Javea Town Hall confirmed the woman jumped from a bridge on the Avenida de Augusta where it crosses Gorgos riverbed.
“She lived in Javea right next to Avenida de Augusta, and had lived here for many years,” a spokesperson told the Olive Press.
More to follow…
- WATCH: Plane drops water on Sierra Helada national park as forest fire blazes above Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 20:06
- WATCH: Brit claim that he ‘slipped’ by pool to recover 37,000 euro hospital bill in Mallorca FAILS after video shows him jumping into a tree - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 15:07
- ‘HE LIKES IT’: Benidorm bar responds to claims that midget stripper advert was a ‘hate crime’ - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 12:12
- BREAKING: First chikungunya outbreak in Spain as three tourists on the Costa Blanca are infected - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Girl of THREE among 79 illegal immigrants intercepted as Guardia Civil arrests Alicante-based trafficking gang - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 13:27
- PICTURED: Romanian woman beheaded on the Costa Blanca as police say arrest ‘imminent’ - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:40
- WATCH: British-run restaurant blocked by ‘two truck loads’ of rubble as neighbour demands 150,000 for strip of land - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:36
- Three ‘pirate taxis’ confiscated from illicit drivers at Alicante-Elche Airport - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 17:51
- Javea’s Cova Tallada to become first beach in Valencian Community with restricted visitor access due to tourism pressure - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:43
- WATCH: Woman leaps into sea as ‘Kontiki II’ ferry boat nearly smashes into 154-metre Balearia behemoth between Ibiza and Formentera - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:11