TOURISM companies have slammed Government proposals to cap visitor numbers at some of Spain’s most popular beaches.
New legislation in Galicia has placed limits on tourism to the islands of Ons, Cies, Salvora and Cortegada.
A group of ship owners and hoteliers have labelled the plans ‘unjustified’ and claimed that daily limit on tourist numbers is a ‘grave error’.
“These are periods of great tourist relevance and this is a decision that did not take into account the maritime transport and hospitality sector, nor their claims,” the group said in a statement.
But the Minister of Environment of Galicia, Angeles Vazquez hit back at those criticizing the new plans.
“Just as to enter a cathedral and a museum we have quotas, this is also a museum, it is natural heritage and we would be irresponsible if we did the opposite of what they send us,” he said.
Agreed in December, the proposals limit visitors to Ons to just 1,300 people per day during the high season and 450 at other times.
The limit for Cies has been set at 1,800 and 450 at other times, while Salvora and Cortegada are limited to just 450 and 250 respectively.
- Bet365 to relocate 1,000 staff from Gibraltar office to Malta in HUGE €70 million move over Brexit fears - 23 May, 2019 @ 17:53
- Largest ever cocaine haul made in Spain’s Sevilla as 1000 kilos of the drug smuggled in banana truck - 23 May, 2019 @ 16:03
- ‘HUMOUR HAS NO LIMITS’: Man in Spain defends his jokes about little Julen who died down well - 23 May, 2019 @ 12:37
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33
- Sexism row in Spain as female squash champions handed sex toys as prizes - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:50
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 job losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10