A FUGITIVE wanted for ten years in the Canary Islands has handed himself in because he had grown sick and tired of Tenerife.
The unnamed criminal, 64, broke out of an Austrian prison in 2008 with only six months left to serve and fled to sunny Tenerife.
After a decade on the run, the fugitive popped up at a railway station in Salzburg and turned himself into police.
“I have lived there long enough,Tenerife is not as beautiful anymore as it once was,” the fed-up man reportedly told the officers.
Authorities decided the Austrian national should be sent back to prison, and he was jailed in Salzburg.
In Austria escaping from prison is not illegal so the elderly convict may only have to serve the remainder of his original sentence.
- AND THEY’RE OFF: Expats across Spain head to the polls - 26 May, 2019 @ 15:34
- OPINION: The shock verdict that sees Westley Capper and Craig Porter ‘walk free’ is an insult to Agnese Klavina’s family - 25 May, 2019 @ 13:00
- ISIS video threatens tourists in Spain after death of British ‘punk rock jihadi’ - 24 May, 2019 @ 14:45
- ‘I HAVE DONE MY BEST’: Tearful Theresa May resigns as UK Prime Minister - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:57
- British woman dies on UK-bound flight at Mallorca airport moments before take-off - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:29
- Judge allows convicted British criminal to go on Spain holiday after taser and cocaine bust - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:56
- Mystery buzzing leads couple in southern Spain to 80,000 bees in their bedroom wall - 21 May, 2019 @ 10:58
- British toddler badly hurt in cliff fall after ‘slipping from mother’s arms’ at Mallorca beach - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:38
- British holidaymaker drowns off Costa del Sol while swimming at popular expat beach - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- British father fights for life in Spain after fall onto Costa del Sol motorway - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:11