BIG hearted expats have rallied around a homeless man who has been forced to sleep on the streets, while an expat ‘lives rent-free’ in his home.
Scores of readers sent advice and two even offered to put up Patrick O’Loughlin, 72, in their homes, while he fights the ongoing battle with his tenants.
“Please give him my very best wishes that his situation will be resolved quickly,” wrote one of dozens of well-wishers.
“My advice is do not delay, act today,” wrote another, “The Spanish justice system just does not seem to care.”
One lawyer meanwhile offered to translate all of Patrick’s documents into Spanish and English in time for a court date set for this Friday.
A debt collection specialist, meanwhile, has offered to have the father-of-one’s home, in Fuengirola, vacated if the tenant refuses to move out.
“The support has been fantastic thank you for your help,” Patrick told the Olive Press this week, “I am seeing a judge on Friday to try and prove my right to the property.”
The British pensioner, from London, had been dossing down on benches at train stations and Malaga airport after having nowhere to live after his tenant allegedly refused to move out despite receiving an eviction notice in February.
Despite seeming to have evidence that he owns the property in Fuengirola, the Londoner says he has had little help from police and that his case is making its way too slowly through the courts.
“My wife left me the home when she died eight years ago and I can prove it,” O’Loughlin – who suffers from high blood pressure – insisted.
Patrick’s home belonged to his Finnish wife, who passed away almost a decade ago.
Under Finnish law, Patrick is permitted to live in the matrimonial home for the rest of his life.
We visited the property again this week but the tenant did not answer the door.
However the boyfriend of the tenant, who is believed to be a lodger in the apartment, told the Olive Press they have made denuncias against Patrick after he allegedly kept turning up unannounced and was ‘aggressive’ towards her.
He also claimed that the tenant is ‘terrified’ of Patrick, 72, and that she is now ‘under police protection’ as ‘criminal proceedings’ are underway.
When quizzed on her right to live their and Patrick’s ownership of the home, he told the Olive Press: “With regards to ownership of the property, I am not a legal expert so don’t know how Finish legal documentation relates to Spanish property laws.
“As I stated, the property is still registered in the deceased ladies (sic) name.”
It comes after Patrick told the Olive Press he was attacked by a man when he tried to return to his home this week.
He claimed that he was punched several times after he failed to enter his home and that police arrived to the scene immediately afterwards.
Patrick was arrested and had to appear before a judge, who gave him until Friday (tomorrow) to prove he has rights to the home.
The tenant told the Olive Press: “I can absolutely confirm that I have not attacked Mr O’Laughlin at any time.
“If Mr O’Laghlin, has been attacked he should report this to the police.”
The Olive Press is awaiting for comment from police.
More to follow…
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35