PODEMOS has been blocked from communicating with its supporters on messaging app WhatsApp days before Spain goes to the polls.
The left-wing party had been using WhatsApp to connect with tens of thousands of supporters and deliver campaign messages ahead of April 28.
WhatsApp, which is owned by Facebook, suspended Podemos’ account for breaking the terms of services by using the app for automated mass messages.
“We have been operating normally for 15 days, sending messages and communicating with people who have asked us to register.
“With just a few days before the election left, we will not be able to start anew if the channel is not restored,” said Podemos communication secretary Juanma del Olmo.
Podemos accepted that mass messages had been sent automatically but claimed other parties had been doing the same.
In response, a Whatsapp spokesperson said: “We apply the same implementation standards for all WhatsApp users worldwide.”
“Our terms and services are explicit and do not allow mass messaging or third-party programs to automate messages.”
- DAYLIGHT ROBBERY: Crackdown sees nearly 20% of Palma’s terraces closed, leaving Mallorca expat owners struggling to make ends meet - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 02:32
- OPINION: War on Terraces - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 02:30
- Toddler fighting for her life after swallowing ecstasy in Spain’s Ibiza - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:09
- WATCH: All Blacks rugby stars perform haka in Spain’s Alhambra - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:51
- Drug smuggler held in Spain after hiding half a kilo of cocaine under toupee - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:50
- PICTURED: Grisly fate of Pamplona bulls during Spain’s famous San Fermin festival - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 12:09
- Pedro Sanchez walks away from coalition talks as political breakdown raises concern of repeat election in Spain - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:07
- Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior docks in Malaga to push for action on climate change - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 11:24
- Mystery masturbator back as sicko breaks into vehicles on Spain’s Mallorca and leaves semen all over the seat - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- SOUTHERN COMFORTS: Why it’s not just the infamous Atlantic wind that keeps the Costa de la Luz so spiritually chilled - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 09:00